The Fate of My Blog…
I’ve decided to answer questions in a Usability Test to figure out how my blog is shaping up. It’s my first blog ever, so I don’t have very high hopes.
Use of Media:
- Images: provides images and other media? No, I have not used images or other media in my blog. I could have used some images/videos when talking about the TED Talks or SecondLife.
- Site: If mentioning a site: provides link/screenshot/logo of site? I have not used links or logos in my blog either. I could have used screenshots, links or logos when referencing the blogs I was going to follow.
- Video: If mentioning a video, embeds video? No I have not embedded any videos. I could have with the TED Talks or Epic 2015
- Links/urls: If mentioning a link, provides url? I have not mentioned links, so I have not provided urls.
- Citations: If mentioning a blog/blogger, provide trackback? I do not know what a trackback is but I know I have not used any.
- Other Media: If mentioning a book, film, etc., provides link. (Author’s site, Amazon, IMDB, etc.) I did not do this either, if I had I could of put a link to Ken Robinson’s website since it is actually pretty cool.
- Is the text in large intimidating chunks or is it scannable/skimmable? Are long entries divided with subtitles or images? (22-23) I don’t really think I use intimidating chunks of texts… I believe it’s pretty skimmable but I do not seperate it with subtitles or images, which is something I could definitely try.
- Are long entries portioned out into clearly defined areas? (36-37) I don’t believe I have too long of entries, but since there’s always room for improvement, I do suppose I could shorten some of them.
- Design: Does the overall design work for the site? (123-129) What strikes you about the site? (150) While I am just using someone else’s template, I do believe the design works for my blog and for my personality, hence why I chose it!
- Text/font: Is the text font, size, color clear and readable? I believe that the text font, size, and color are readable and clear. But, if you don’t agree, please tell me!
- Color: Is the use of color distracting? Complimentary? (165) This will be my first post with any colors besides black, so I can’t say for sure right now, but whoever critiques me can decide
- Noise: Busyness? (38, 183-184) Is there too much going on? Can it be minimized? Background noise? (38-39) Can it be minimized? I actually think it’s pretty quiet. The template I chose is really only distracting at the very top which I think is okay….
- Do entries contain needless words? (45-49) Definitely. My posts could stand a little editing I suppose. As an english major, I tend to carry on more than I should.
- Is site navigation obvious? (54-63) Does it rely on conventions? (51, 54-63) I believe the navigation is done very well. I had no part in it but I do believe it uses conventions well.
- Blog Title and Tagline: is tagline descriptive or engaging? (14, 101- 106) The title is just “Emily’s Blog”… pretty boring, I could try and think of something new. And there is no tagline so I could do that as well.
- About Section: Is the blog concept clear? (101, 144 & 156) Do you understand the purpose of the site, do you “Get it?” Please see “happy talk” section, too. (46) I think the about me section explains what my blog is about, although it’s slightly vague. I do wish the about my section was visible from the front though and not on its own page, but I have no idea how I’d change that.
- Structure/Organization: Amateurish vs. Professional: (Is the site sloppy or neat and clear? Disorganized or organized? Professional or unprofessional?(165 166) I’d say it looks more amateurish than professional but I think it’s very neat and clear!
- Accessibility: Is appropriate “alt text” added to every image? (179) I’m lame and have not used images yet.